Thursday, November 09, 2006

Don't make 'em like they used to

I have my grandmother's Black & Decker toaster oven, that must be a good 15 years old. It has been a very nice little toaster oven. It has the occasional bad day and forgets to stop toasting, but it still gets a 41/2 out of 5 stars. Sadly, this mightly little appliance is on it's last leg. If I didn't use it constantly, it would already be in the garbage. It's really almost frightening to use. However, it's not just the sentimental value and the necessity factors that have me hanging on to the poor old thing. It's the fact that finding a replacement is proving to be FAR more difficult than I could have imagined. I am well aware that things aren't made to last the way they used to be. Just ask my sister-in-law Karen about the evilness of fridge life! But I figured that a toaster oven could be found at a reasonable price that was well made. I looked at the ones in Walmart and was not impressed. I decided to do more research on-line. Boy, some of the reviews are scathing! And most seem to say that the oven feature is good, but the toasting feature is not. If they could make good ones that lasted 20 years ago, why can't they do that any more? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Argh! Any suggestions?

No comments: