Monday, August 21, 2006

Palette

So why is it some people love sweet wine and others can't stand it? After spending a rather nice weekend in Niagara-on-the-Lake, known for it's "Ice Wine" I wonder this all the more. Ice wine is made after a 7 degree day (usually January), when the water in the grape freezes and they are able to extract just the fruit juice. This makes for a great deal of sweetness and a very limited harvest. Small bottles at large prices being snapped up by those who adore it. So why can I picture being able to live my life quite happily without ever having to taste it again and there are large groups pf people who think the opposite? Is it the genetic make of of my tongue or merely a preference? I enjoy sweet things, namely chocolate (in almost any form), and even frequently crave them. Why not this? It really isn't a life altering question, more of a curious pondering. I would love to see stasitics on this. Maybe I'll search the web, answers abound there.

No comments: